Overnight food: Raised Waffles

These waffles are adapted from Marion Cunningham's The Breakfast Book.  Her's are glorious, but a little too sour for my taste, plus the butter always clumps at the top of my bowl in the morning.  I substituted oil for the butter, something I rarely do, but it makes a big difference. I also reduced the yeast. The taste is less sour, the batter is smoother, and the process is faster.  

1/2 cup water 
1 teaspoon active dry yeast
2 cups milk
1/2 cup oil (I prefer corn oil in this)
1 teaspoon table salt
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour

Add in the morning
2 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Oil or melted butter for waffle iron

Stir fast with a fork, cover the pan, leave overnight.  In the morning, add eggs and baking soda.  Cook like any other waffles.  We like them with melted chocolate chips, berries, and cream.  

Comments

Popular Posts