Books about big families



Here's a quick list of books I've found helpful about big families.   Neither of us grew up in one, so we've asked lots of questions, watched friends for good ideas, and copied ideas from books.  

Things I wish I'd Known Sooner - Jaroldeen Edwards I like this one a lot. She's cheerful, practical, and doesn't whitewash the mess. I love her ideas about all-white towels (bleachable, don't have to match), living within your means, making things beautiful and simple. Her description of her day is lovely.



Cheaper by the Dozen I love this one. It's funny, but the ideas of streamlining work and teaching children through fun are pure gold. I borrow a lot of our routines from this one.


Seven Silly Eaters - the mom who tries to cater to each of seven children and ends up losing it! The illustrations are so special. We like to try to find each of the pets in each picture. The dad is always in the background helping. And their house is my inspiration! Sturdy, homemade, lovely, washable.


By the way, I refuse to have things in the house that aren't washable, bleachable, won't cry if you break it. Except our china teapot. That's hidden well away. But the sofa, the linens, the furniture - I refuse to have anything to fuss over. I've got other fish to fry!



Comments

Popular Posts