"Milk your own ducks"

 


Dear Flylady came up with a phrase from her grandmother that I love, "You milk your ducks, and I'll milk mine."

Or...

You do your work, and I'll do mine. 

You mind your affairs, I'll mind mine. 

I'm trying to.  

Compare these internal monologues...

"I'm picking up after these people all day!  Why can't he put away his own markers! I don't have enough time to do my own work because I'm doing theirs too.  And the house is a travesty.  Why can't I get it all done?  Ugh - more jam and crumbs. I'm going to be up late tonight again.  Ugh - I'm too tired.  Heck - time for bed."

vs. 

"Ok, just my own routine. Trash out.  Wait, baby crying - ok, that IS my job.  Done. Baby fine. Try for trash again.  Trash, check. Blocks a mess.  NOT my job.  Do your own work first.  Check calendar. Done.  Clothes for tomorrow - done. Not fancy, but done. Shine sink - fast!  Start dishwasher. Ok - the blocks and markers are still a mess. But I'm dragging and need to go to bed."

On other days, I've also found that the boys are more likely to do their own jobs if I keep to my own.  And that I'm more effective about getting dinner on the table and actually DOING my own work if I'm not distracted by trying to do everybody's.  

Time to milk the rest of my own ducks and get to bed. 

Comments

Popular Posts